Thursday, stepped the mast

I am starting to believe a lot of the problems I am having stem from not taking the boat seriously. Everything is tiny, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy. I had 3 goes before I finally managed to step the mast. Unfortunately decisions made previously mean things aren't as easy as you'd expect.

The mast is 4.9 meters long,4.95 including the top sheaves.


I need to make a new rudder. Plywood, totally rotted.


The boat came with lots of "stuff".



A better shot of the plant that was growing in through the drain hole.


and the bilge...Boat will be getting a proper clean inside and out.


Underside of the cockpit.


The aft cabin bulk head was moved so far back they had to bend the centerboard uphaul tube back.


The inside forepeak.


Underside of the mast step.


Finally after 3 goes!


I ran a line to hold the mast up while I fiddled with the turnbuckle and D shackles. Not how I would rig the boat.


Lots of rust everywhere. I've cut my hands too may times on winch cables.


The aft mast support is a good idea but far too short. It could do with being longer to trailering but it NEEDS to be longer to step the mast. I mounted it on the upper rudder pin for today but I need to fix this.


Mainsheet. All the running rigging is hard and awful, so I'll be off to whitworths to get some new rope. Actually not all. The jib sheets are fine.


Flares are miles out of date.V sheet,red/green torch.


Little achor and chain. Rope is hard and probably not springy. I think I have something nice to replace it.


There may be 3 halyards  but one may be a topping lift.


Horn cleats both sides.


Mast base 20 mm thick. I am unfamiliar with those black plastic things.I assume they are some sort of cleat I've not see before.


Forestay, shrouds and jib sheave.


Sheaves at mast top. Note block. I think that may be a topping lift.


I don't know what that eye is for. Spinnaker? Genoa?


Another shot of those mystery cleats.


I don't know what these blocks and that clam cleat are for.


It looks too big for the halyards.


The block looks like about an 8mm sheave.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A day at the river

Introduction and Cal14